Stephen A. Fisher, M.D. is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and is sub-specialty board-certified in sports medicine
Dr. Fisher specializes in the operative and non-operative treatments of:
- Knee injuries including those of the ACL, PCL collateral ligaments, meniscus and patellofemoral joint
- Shoulder injuries involving the rotator cuff, labrum, biceps and shoulder instability
- Elbow injuries involving the biceps tendon, ulnar collateral ligament (“Tommy John” ligament), and cartilage along with arthroscopic treatment of tennis elbow and elbow arthritis
- Ankle injuries including arthroscopy and ligament reconstructions
- Sports related wrist and hand injuries /conditions
- Fracture care including minimally invasive / arthroscopic assisted procedures
- Cartilage preservation and restoration procedures of the shoulder, knee and ankle
- Stem Cell and Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapeutic treatment for a variety of orthopedic conditions
Education & Training
- Lake Tahoe Orthopaedic Institute, Zephyr Cove, NV
- Wayne State University – Detroit Medical Center, Orthopedic Surgery, Detroit, MI
- Chief Resident, Wayne State University – Detroit Medical Center, Orthopedic Surgery, Detroit, MI
- University of Pittsburgh Medical School, Pittsburgh, PA
- University of Pittsburgh, B.S., Exercise Science, Pittsburgh, PA
Dr. Stephen Fisher is a board-certified orthopedic sports medicine surgeon who specializes in the operative and non-operative treatment of sports related injuries and musculoskeletal disorders of the upper and lower extremities. A native of Pittsburgh, Dr. Fisher completed his medical education at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and then completed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at Wane State University/Detroit Medical Center, later serving as Chief Resident. He then completed a fellowship in sports medicine at the Lake Tahoe Orthopaedic Institute in Zephyr Cove, Nevada.
Dr. Fisher is extensively experienced in treating athletes of all ages including those at the pediatric/youth, high school, college and professional levels, as well as weekend warriors and senior age athletes. He brings almost 20 years of experience including nearly a decade of serving patients in Georgia. Prior to joining The Orthopedic Sports Medicine Center of Atlanta, he practiced as a member of The Longstreet Clinic here in Georgia after relocating from his sports medicine practice in Michigan. He has served as Team Physician for numerous schools and athletic programs in the Greater Atlanta area, including North Gwinnett, Dacula, Flowery Branch and Lanier High Schools and their youth programs, Georgia Force Home School Football, and is a consultant for multiple gymnastics programs, club level sports programs and the Cirque du Solei. Besides his experience, his knowledge of current and cutting edge orthopaedics and sports medicine treatments is exceptional and up to date demonstrated by consistently scoring in the high 90th percentiles on his board certification and recertification exams.
As a former multi-sport competitive athlete and college hockey player himself, Dr. Fisher is passionate about returning athletes to activity, and understands how sports injuries can impact athletic performance and daily life. He has expertise in treating all sports related conditions with special clinical interests in patellofemoral disorders, joint-preservation procedures including realignment osteotomies, and challenging procedures including revision rotator cuff/labrum /instability repairs of the shoulder and complex/revision ligament reconstructions of the knee.
In his free time, Dr. Fisher enjoys spending time with his wife and 4 children, and likes to stay active by still playing competitive sports including ice hockey and golf, along with mountain biking and coaching football.
- Member, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Member, Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Member, Georgia State Medical Society
- Northside Hospital Atlanta
- Gwinnett Medical Center
- Northeast Georgia Medical Center